Random Chatter Topic #8

Gather here at The Hog's Head to discuss whatever off "Pottermore" topic interests you may have. Meet with the other forum members and have a chat at the pub.

Moderator: Professors

McKinstry
Sixth Year Student
Sixth Year Student
Points on hand: 400,314.00
Pottermore Username: LumosSun28350

Re: Random Chatter Topic #8

Postby McKinstry » May 22nd, 2017, 3:19 am

Good to see you Jag, Thes & Rook!

Woop woop, I see the DE sign ups have begun :D

"Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind."
Henry James

Jag17
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Points on hand: 6,820.50
Pottermore Username: noxstorm144

Postby Jag17 » June 18th, 2017, 11:37 am

Hey guys hope everyone been having a good month of June so far. Has anyone been doing anything fun or interesting? Summer officially starts this week or winter for the southern hemisphere. And it is father day in many different countries today so hope any dad's members are having a nice day and everyone else who might be celebrating.

I finally got a new phone this week. Been using a pre pay basic phone for a while but save some money so I got the Samsung galaxy 8. It is really nice.
ImageImage

Cora Ticum
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 11,805.00
Pottermore Username: VineUnicorn20895

Postby Cora Ticum » June 18th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Nice to see you here Jag. :D Everything ok with you?

I haven't been doing anything interesting other than preparing for my holiday and setting up my blog. I mainly have trouble with getting an interesting template and particularly the header. It's long ago since I edited pictures, but I don't want a standard one or just a picture downloaded from the internet. It's so much more personal to have something customized yourself, so I will just go on and try again until I'm satisfied. :D

My dad had to work the whole day and so did my mom, but otherwise he had a nice day. It's always difficult to buy a present for him as he is incredibly non-materialistic. However, tasty food will always do (in particular chocolate), so I bought him a nice package of white chocolate/lemon flavoured truffles. I first wanted to make them myself, but for truffles the ganache always has to rest in the freezer for a while and I know that both my dad and brother can't help themselves and will scoop up most of it before I have the chance to roll the truffles. :lol:

Congrats on your new phone; I'm glad you're happy about it. I currently don't even have a phone that works outside of the UK. I still have to get a new contract that will work in The Netherlands, but I have found out that I barely ever feel the need to have one.
The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong. - Laura Ingalls Wilder
ImageImageImage

NightRook30697
Fourth Year Student
Fourth Year Student
Points on hand: 1,356.30
Pottermore Username: NightRook30697

Postby NightRook30697 » June 23rd, 2017, 4:07 pm

Glad you got a decent phone Jag, that does look like a nice one. I only really use mine for the basics, so I have had the same basic smartphone for three years now. It makes calls, sends texts and just about has room for my Skype app, all I really need. :lol:

How is the job going?

Where are you going to on Holiday Cora? Somewhere exciting?

What is the blog about? (You know we have a couple of good artists on here who would help with your artwork if you need it. :D )

Cora Ticum
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student

Postby Cora Ticum » June 23rd, 2017, 4:54 pm

Me and my mum are going on a roadtrip through the Midwest of America for five weeks. We are both big fans of author Laura Ingalls Wilder and we are going to visit all the places that she has lived, as well as some other interesting areas that tell us about American history, and some interesting national parks. We have planned this trip two years in advance and I can't tell you all how excited I am. This is something I have wanted to do for such a long time and it's finally happening. :D

The blog will be about the trip, and it will be a one-off thing (not a blog I will keep on for a longer time). I will post about everything I will see, what we experience and the basic happenings of the trip. It will be a mixture of blog posts, photos and videos. A lot of it will be Wilder related, so it probably won't make much sense to anyone who is not familiar with the author or the fandom. Although I will probably write about a lot of spontaneous things I see along the way also, or general reports about the travel and whatever I happen to experience.

Thanks for offering help. :D I'll keep it in mind for when I really get stuck on the artwork. I actually had been thinking of getting help from people here who are better with artwork, but I didn't want to bother anyone. I'm getting better with the header, but there are still some finishing touches to be made. I'm also not sure if I can get a customized logo instead of the standardized Wordpress logo (I believe that's not possible with a free account).
The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong. - Laura Ingalls Wilder
ImageImageImage

McKinstry
Sixth Year Student
Sixth Year Student
Points on hand: 400,314.00
Pottermore Username: LumosSun28350

Postby McKinstry » June 24th, 2017, 7:01 am

Cora that trip sounds amazing, especially because you are going to see something you are passionate about and for a purpose.

And I love the fact that it is you and your mum, you two must be close :)

"Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind."
Henry James

Cora Ticum
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student

Postby Cora Ticum » June 24th, 2017, 7:05 am

Thanks Tim. Me and my mum are quite close indeed, and we both like traveling and have the same interests in what to see and what to do. And this certainly isn't a trip I could ever do on my own since I can't drive and getting around without a car in the US isn't going to take you far. :lol:
ImageImageImage

Ashdust
Wizard/Witch
Wizard/Witch
Points on hand: 4,018.70
Pottermore Username: AshDust224

Postby Ashdust » June 24th, 2017, 8:25 am

The trip sounds amazing Cora, if you don't mind sharing it I would love to read your blog, I have been a fan of the books and the TV show since I was a kid.
Image Image
ImageImageImageImage Image

Cora Ticum
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student

Postby Cora Ticum » June 24th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Really Ash? That's great, since I am also a fan of both the books and TV show and I will put lots of references to both in my blog. I will also go to an exclusive fan conference and I hope I will be able to put info and photos of it online.
My blog will be in English, so you can all read it if you want (for a while I considered making a blog in Dutch). I'll put a link here as soon as I have the basics ready, which will likely be in a few days. The opening post is still bothering me, as currently it is far too long. :lol:
ImageImageImage

NightRook30697
Fourth Year Student
Fourth Year Student
Points on hand: 1,356.30
Pottermore Username: NightRook30697

Postby NightRook30697 » June 25th, 2017, 4:23 am

The holiday does sound brilliant Cora, and I agree that it is lovely you will be able to spend so much time with your mum. :D

Have to say, with my artistic knowledge, I was actually thinking maybe Tim or Hermione if she is around would be more help with the artwork. :lol:

(Not that I wouldn't help, just looking at other people's work, they are far more qualified than me...)

Return to “The Hog's Head”