We Need Ideas!

Make your site suggestions here and ask your questions. Thank you for your continued support of the PFF forum!

Moderator: Professors

Pumpkin
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 2,826.68
Pottermore Username: VioletCitrouille5574

Re: We Need Ideas!

Postby Pumpkin » January 3rd, 2014, 11:16 am

I think Instagram and Tumblr are great ways to spread the word if we can strategically post to increase our population of members. If we end up with something like potterheadproblems on Tumblr (though I doubt we will end up that huge) we could increase our member count by - a whole lot, as well as expanding to a young-adult/teenage audience. Twitter definitely needs to be updated, and all Truppers points are great ones.

I think all our active members own either a smartphone or a tablet too. Which if we can develop a mobile app, for $0.99 a lot of people can buy that without going through PayPal, and we still get a profit if it's free, if we have in-built ads, annoying but necessary. Though we still need to figure out how to script and code onto iOS, Android and Windows smartphones as well as get them on the store. I think if we need to pay a scripter, we should... But obviously that's up to Rhynn, Charm and Hagrid. There are ways to get a mobile version (especially through phpBB itself - http://phpbb-mobile.com), but we don't earn money through them. Of course we can make an app for PFF, unconnected to the forum. But, I'm not sure we would want to do that.

I do believe that the VIP section of the forum is a wonderful idea as well as the PFF store, but we need to put ourselves out there more. Through social media and hopefully through a future development of a successful application for different computing systems. I think if we did make an app to sell on the app store, play store or windows store, we still would need permission from phpBB, so I think we should try to contact them before we start any future projects.

I'm done. Hopefully this was slightly helpful.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Rhynn
Honorary Member - VIP
Honorary Member - VIP
Points on hand: 2,956.00
Pottermore Username: SeerHawthorn125

Postby Rhynn » January 3rd, 2014, 11:23 am

More members would definitely help. We regularly sell shirts in the shop, but it's not enough and people aren't finding PFF through it. The ad money coming in is hardly anything (which is why Hagrid added the infolinks); the most income for the forum is coming from the VIP section.

So yes, social media usage could definitely help :) I have to admit I'm absolutely awful at using social media in any kind of effective way xD

A mobile app would be nice, but we simply don't have the skills to make one. And if we did have anyone with coding skills I'd have them automate and expand the Capsule Collection Machine first. Larsie was making a sort of app, but it would be free because of the program used to make it (not entirely sure how it worked, though). The problem with finding anyone with the skills is the money... we have zero budget. The current PFF income isn't even enough to cover server costs (Hagrid and Charm are paying for it from their own pocket, largely).

So the first step is getting PFF more income without having to spend money, which is best done through ads, VIP and the Spreadshirt shop. I have to admit it's been a while since I've made a new design for there, but that's partly because none of the PFF members ever seem to buy anything (nearly all of the purchases have been through the Spreadshirt Marketplace, where I've shared some designs for everyone to create a shirt with). Anything bought directly from our shop brings in more than marketplace purchases do.
Once we have a budget we can look for coders :) I do know some people, but for something like this I wouldn't want to ask them for free work. I know how tough the business is :)
ImageImageImage

Pumpkin
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 2,826.68
Pottermore Username: VioletCitrouille5574

Postby Pumpkin » January 3rd, 2014, 11:42 am

Quickly thought of an idea while going to sleep. Obviously, you don't want pop-up ads everywhere and you need to make money to get more money. But Rhynn, your designs are really good, it's just those on PFF who wanted them have already bought them. Have you tried selling them on Etsy or one of those websites. One of my aunties makes tonnes of money of those websites by doing crafty things. Other than that, i have no other ideas that will bring in a definite source of money.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Wrackspurt
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 53.00
Pottermore Username: OwlStone19970

Postby Wrackspurt » January 6th, 2014, 2:10 pm

I figured the VIP subs would be a decent part of the income. That's why I asked if we were hoping for more members, so we can try to corral some more VIPs. So then, Rhynn? Does that mean you're willing to grant me permission to start an "official" PFF tumblr? I really do think it could be useful.
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImage

Rhynn
Honorary Member - VIP
Honorary Member - VIP
Points on hand: 2,956.00
Pottermore Username: SeerHawthorn125

Postby Rhynn » January 6th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Yes, you have permission to start an official PFF tumblr :) If you ever want anything to also be tweeted and put on Facebook, let me, Elena or River know please ^_^
ImageImageImage

Riv
Order of Merlin, Third Class
Order of Merlin, Third Class
Points on hand: 22.19
Pottermore Username: WildRiver35
Location: Sneaking around the Ministry on an undercover job from RWP

Postby Riv » January 15th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Oooh, a PFF Tumblr! Definitely have to follow that one then with my accounts. Also, I would buy more things from the shop here, but the only problem is I'm trying desperately to NOT spend all my money every month and actually save up some since I've got some bigger plans for the future and those take way more money than I have now.

I agree with Truppers with the social media part. It's definitely very important to advertise PFF in any way possible. Rhynn, as Pumpkin said, your designs are wonderous, firstly they could be used for advertising PFF in a very great way - just share them through different social media platforms. And also you can make money with them as well (I wish I were so talented as you, I'd get way more money from just making art), so think about it ;)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Slytherin ExtraordinaireNo.1 Fan of the Slytherin PrinceEstonian For Life
~Writing ~ Tumblr~

IustinLLex
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 51.00
Pottermore Username: IustinLLex

View the latest post

Postby IustinLLex » November 1st, 2015, 8:07 am

The post length maximum is currently 20,000 characters. Is there a way to up that to a nice number like, say, 200,000?

Return to “Suggestions and Questions”