Maguss: A Precursor to Harry Potter Mobile?

Make your site suggestions here and ask your questions. Thank you for your continued support of the PFF forum!

Moderator: Professors

Akiley Williams
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 216.00
Pottermore Username: SunBlood10584

Maguss: A Precursor to Harry Potter Mobile?

Postby Akiley Williams » February 24th, 2018, 1:04 pm

I would like to start off by saying that this is the suggestion section for a reason so bare with me for a bit.

I know many people are not active on here, I am one of them, but Maguss is a game changer. Since I arrived there was no way to do potions class or duel, but Maguss allows both of those things. By walking around and exploring our world we can battle monsters and collect herbs.

You can create a character avatar to represent yourself and chose one of four classes: Druid, Warrior, Paladin, and Rogue. While battling and leveling up you earn more spells which you cast by tracing the symbol assigned to it on your screen. At first you have two symbols or deck slots for spells, but as you level up you unlock more. At level 5 you may start to duel other players, you don't even need to be in the same place as the opponent.

As for potion making, you gather herbs that spawn around you. (Please note that these seem to vanish if you are moving too fast.) Then using the game's currency, which you get from logging in, fighting monsters, or even opening chests, you can buy recipes to craft potions. At the start there is some interaction with brewing in the form of popping bubbles, then you must wait for a timer to tick down.

There's also gear to gather to increase defense and chests to find and open. This game was made by 10 people and is currently in open beta on IOS and Android (IOS is tricky though from what I've heard). If you have any questions about it, I would suggest taking a look at their Facebook page. The team is very responsive.

Now to my point: I think I would be neat to use it to replace those features of Pottermore that have been lost to us. I know there is a more official Harry Potter Mobile game coming, but for now, Maguss is well worth the time I've put it. It is interactive and entertaining with a real sense of accomplishment.
"You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the world.
This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm Yourself!"
-10th Doctor

Pamela Bode
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Points on hand: 233.00

Re: Maguss: A Precursor to Harry Potter Mobile?

Postby Pamela Bode » March 11th, 2018, 12:00 pm

I just saw what Maguss really is, but is it even based on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question, but I don't quite feel like being in the wizarding world when I was visiting its website.

It is the quality of one's convictions that determine success not the number of followers ~ Remus John Lupin

Akiley Williams
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 216.00
Pottermore Username: SunBlood10584

Re: Maguss: A Precursor to Harry Potter Mobile?

Postby Akiley Williams » March 17th, 2018, 3:44 pm

No it is not based on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It just felt that the mechanics of the game would suit our current needs for a Potion's class or Dueling forum. It is still in the beta stages but as a fan of Harry Potter I feel we should at least give some attention to the project. While we are expecting an actual Harry Potter mobile game, even two of them, this one is here and is entertaining as it is. It may not be Harry Potter but it's still about a magical world that provides much to do.
"You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the world.
This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm Yourself!"
-10th Doctor

Return to “Suggestions and Questions”